cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Automating ASA 5510 backups

neillradford
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone know how to automate backups (weekly or monthly) for the ASA 5510? At the moment, I just back up the config manually before making changes but would like to automate this. Much the same way as you can on Cisco switches using kron.

Im not keen on powershell as the password needs specified. Any suggestions?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Automagically you would need something like Cisco Prime or Solarwinds NCM.

View solution in original post

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With ASA 9.2 (sadly only available on the 5505 or any of the newer 5500-X series) you can now use Embedded Event Manager (EEM) to automate actions - including backups - and do it either on an event-driven or scheduled basis.

It doesn't help with your 5510 but for other readers' information there's an example in the configuration guide that can be easily adapted to do backups. Link.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Automagically you would need something like Cisco Prime or Solarwinds NCM.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

With ASA 9.2 (sadly only available on the 5505 or any of the newer 5500-X series) you can now use Embedded Event Manager (EEM) to automate actions - including backups - and do it either on an event-driven or scheduled basis.

It doesn't help with your 5510 but for other readers' information there's an example in the configuration guide that can be easily adapted to do backups. Link.

Thanks guys for your responses. Thought as much so think I'll just stick with manual backups.

cciesec2011
Level 3
Level 3

RANCID.  This open source application can backup just about anything you want.  Work great with Cisco, Checkpoint, Juniper with a very nice front-end

I second the recommendation for RANCID.

It most definitely beats manual backups. It's one of the better open source tools available for network management. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card