cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bad magic number when upgrading to pdm-304

ian
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to upgrde pdm from 3(1) to 3(4), when I use tftp and try toinstall pdm-304.bin it appears tostart up and load but always ends with the following message:

Received 3152452 bytes

Bad magic number (0x6f6c636e)

I have tried re-downloading it (seval times) trying both http and passive mode ftp. In windows explorer the file size shows as 3079 so it appears that there is a difference in the numer transmitted. I have tried three different tftp servers and the results have been the same. I did already upgrade the os from 6.3(1) to 6.3(5) using the same procedure.

Anyone have any ideas?

5 Replies 5

ROBERTO TACCON
Level 4
Level 4

When you have downloaded the file from cisco have you verified the MD5 ?

Release 3.0.4

Description Cisco PIX Device Manager for PIX 6.3

Size 3152452

Router Checksum 0xba14

MD5 c870b7626bef739f219f4f9a1fa47b53

Date Published: 12-AUG-2005

Yes the md5 checks out

rajbhatt
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I have faced the same issue.

Are you trying this for the secondary pix ?

Are you doing this from the moniter mode or config mode ?I tried to do it from the moniter mode as my tftp server would not ping . Mine was a corrupted flash .

Raj

I am doing it in monitor mode. What was the solution for a corrupt flash and how did you test to comeup with that diagnosis?

Ian

This is what worked for me.........

Cisco PIX Firewall Software Upgrade Procedure

1. Download the latest files for the PIX: Operating System Image and PIX Device Manager (PDM) Image.

2. Prepare a TFTP server, and confirm that the PIX can access it.

3. Log into the PIX Command Line Interface (CLI).

4. Enter enable mode.

PIX# configure terminal

5. Copy the updated operating system image from the TFTP server to the PIX.

PIX(config)# copy tftp flash

Address or name of remote host [0.0.0.0]? 172.17.10.1

Source file name [cdisk]? pix635.bin

copying tftp://172.17.10.1/pix635.bin to flash:image

[yes|no|again]? yes

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!

Received 2101248 bytes

Erasing current image

Writing 1978424 bytes of image

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image installed

6. Copy the latest PDM image from the TFTP server to the PIX.

PIX(config)# copy tftp flash:pdm

Address or name of remote host [0.0.0.0]? 172.17.10.1

Source file name [cdisk]? pdm-304.bin

copying tftp://172.17.10.1/pdm-304.bin to flash:pdm

[yes|no|again]? yes

Erasing current PDM file

Writing new PDM file

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Reboot the PIX.

PIX(config)# reload

8. Type show version to verify that the upgrade succeeded.

PIX# show version

Cisco Secure PIX Firewall System 6.3(5)

PIX Device Manager Version 3.0(4)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: