Views
Helpful
Replies

Badly Explained ASA Question

jdgriffiths
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there -

we have just installed a new ASA and its great except for one little issue. The outside interface IP address has a DNS name in the outside world of office.companyname.com - with our users connecting their IPhones etc to exchange via office.companyname.com/exchange - this all still works when they are outside the network, but from inside the network this server is no longer accessible. If I ping this name from the inside of the network, the IP is resolved but then the ping times out.

Any ideas??? Hope that makes sense......probably havent explained it too well!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If we're talking a windows as a dns server here, just create a New Zone; Forward Lookup Zones > New Zone... default setting should work for most deployment, so i suggest keep the default. In  your case, companyname.com. Then point that zone ip address to the internal address of that server. Create a New Host (A or AAA) under that newly created zone then point it to its corresponding ip address.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

James,

If it's a problem of DNS you can have a look either into DNS doctoring (available on ASA) or setting up multiple zones (bind name) on your DNS.

I guess you would have expected office...../exchange to go to internal server?

Hard to say more without actual config - if in doubt you always have TAC ;-)

M.

Jon Eyes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi James,

Correct me if im wrong but the way i understand this in generality is your inside host/s is trying to connect to your firewall's outside interface/ip address.

By default ASA doesnt allow it. So you need to enable redirection/U-turning/Hairpinning

jdgriffiths
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for the replies - we have an internal DNS server - all clients have this is their primary DNS. Would it be possible to create a "redirect" of some kind on the DNS to map requests for office.companyname.com/exchange to the internal name of the server, thus cutting the ASA out of the equation??? No idea how I would do this - not a server dude at all - any help would be appreciated!!!

James,

I think you just need some NAT configuration.

Can you share your config and let us know the source IP address and the server's private IP?

Regards,

Felipe.

If we're talking a windows as a dns server here, just create a New Zone; Forward Lookup Zones > New Zone... default setting should work for most deployment, so i suggest keep the default. In  your case, companyname.com. Then point that zone ip address to the internal address of that server. Create a New Host (A or AAA) under that newly created zone then point it to its corresponding ip address.

Thank you Jonjon - worked nicely thank you.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card