cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Better to use static translations with or without port address?

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm creating statics like:

static (dmz,outside) public dmz mask

I thought I would just open the ports in the acl, but I know I can do something like:

static (dmz,outside) public ip 80 dmz ip 80 netmask

Is this the "better" way of doing it, or does it really matter?

Thanks,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

Others may differ but i only use ports in the static statement when i am doing port forwarding ie. using the same public IP to forward to multiple private IP addresses on different ports.

Otherwise i just use a static and tie down the access with acl entries. NAT should not really be relied upon for security.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

John

Others may differ but i only use ports in the static statement when i am doing port forwarding ie. using the same public IP to forward to multiple private IP addresses on different ports.

Otherwise i just use a static and tie down the access with acl entries. NAT should not really be relied upon for security.

Jon

Okay, that's what I'm doing. I have a single public address that's forwarding on different ports to different hosts (some in dmz and some on the inside). I've had to use port translation on those.

Thanks Jon!

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card