Views
Helpful
Replies

Blocking on PIX

techtips03
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have some issues with emails and the domain gets blacklisted. I am thinking if there is some kind of virus on some computers which may be using port 25 to send smtp traffic. I was wondering if there is any way to configure the PIX for it to accept smtp traffic only from the mail servers and block any kind of smtp traffic from individual PCs. This is all on the LAN. I thought of creating ACLs on inside interface but I may have to create multiple ACLs and hard to manage.

And is there any way on the PIX to see the host IP or MAC which may be sending lot of SMTP traffic?

Please advise

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use ACL to restrict only your e-mail server to sent traffic destined to tcp port 25 and block every one else.

access-l inside-acl permit tcp host x.x.x.x any eq 25

access-l inside-acl deny tcp any any eq 25

access-l inside-acl permit ip any any

The above acl will be applied IN on the inside interface where x.x.x.x is the private/inside IP address of your e-mail server.

Same thing can be done on the outside acl.

access-l outside-acl permit tcp any host y.y.y.y eq 25

meaning only y.y.y.y which is the translated/public address of the e-mail server.

You cannot use MAC address to block on a PIX/ASA/FWSM.

-KS

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can use ACL to restrict only your e-mail server to sent traffic destined to tcp port 25 and block every one else.

access-l inside-acl permit tcp host x.x.x.x any eq 25

access-l inside-acl deny tcp any any eq 25

access-l inside-acl permit ip any any

The above acl will be applied IN on the inside interface where x.x.x.x is the private/inside IP address of your e-mail server.

Same thing can be done on the outside acl.

access-l outside-acl permit tcp any host y.y.y.y eq 25

meaning only y.y.y.y which is the translated/public address of the e-mail server.

You cannot use MAC address to block on a PIX/ASA/FWSM.

-KS

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card