cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BVI Configuration

lm20ele
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 6509-E configured with three context (Admin, context A, context B).

My question is: can I have two bvi interfaces on one of my Contexts??? so I can bridge bvi 1 with two vlans (One network) and use another bvi 2 with another two vlans (diffrente network).

And if it is possible should I configure the default route for each bvi??

Help please

2 Replies 2

lowen
Level 1
Level 1

You can have up to 8 bvi's per context. And, contrary to the conclusion of a recent thread, it is not necessary that each bvi have an ip address.

For troubleshooting purposes, it's obviously convenient to have ip addresses for all your bvis so that you can, for instance, ping addresses in the bvi's associated vlans w/out traversing a router, but it is not *necessary* to have one for each bvi. I have a context with 2 bvis, and only the first has an ip address. Works fine.

Regarding the default routes for multiple bvis, this is from the FWSM 3.2 configuration guide:

"The default route for the transparent firewall, which is required to provide a return path for management traffic, is only applied to management traffic from one bridge group network. This is because the default route specifies an interface in the bridge group as well as the router IP address on the bridge group network, and you can only define one default route. If you have management traffic from more than one bridge group network, you need to specify a static route that identifies the network from which you expect management traffic."

I just have an interest observation. BVI group without IP address will not pass on dhcp request while bvi with ip address will pass on dhcp request. I am running 3.2 code.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card