cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing ASA to multiple mode

CiscoNutt
Level 1
Level 1

I was curious as when configuring an ASA to be multiple context mode, what happens to the existing configuration on the ASA?  I am more concerned with the managament access configuration.  Will that config still be present in the default context?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The Cisco documentation seems to indicate that when you change the ASA to Multiple Context mode that it will save the current running configuration to the flash (but it is not used?)

It would also seem that the "admin" Security Context is created but no interface is attached to it in the beginning. I have personally only changed ASAs to Multiple Context mode right out of the box and when they have been setup so, there is rarely a need to change that again.

If you are planning such a change remotely I would advice against it. Or you could perhaps have someone onsite providing you remote connectivity to their computer to do the changes that way so you dont loose connectivity. One option is naturally being onsite yourself.

The ASA Configuration Guide and Command Reference had suprisingly little information regarding this change

Here is one older Cisco ASA/PIX documentation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00808d2b63.shtml#multico

ASA 9.0 Configuration Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa90/configuration/guide/ha_contexts.html#wp1081764

So at the very least the ASA should make a backup of the old RUNNING CONFIGURATION to the Flash but its really a common/good practice to backup all essential information yourself manually.

I am not 100% sure will the old configuration be used for anything. I just can't remember.

- Jouni

Hi,

It will save the existing config in flash  it will be named  as  oldrunning.cfg

From ssytem mode if you do sh flash you will see the old config .

Thanks

mahesh

CiscoNutt
Level 1
Level 1

For those that are interested.  Just changed the ASA to multiple context mode and the ASA converted the configuration and installed it in the default admin context.  Connection was not lost (if you don't count the reload).  We are running ASA version 9.0

Also, we are using the management interface for administration.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card