cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2621- Firewall capablity having High cpu usage issue

raghavendra.j
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco 2621 router with firewall capablity in it and im having a capacity (high cpu usage) issue.Its running IOS Version 12.4(12a). Any suggestion to overcome this?

3 Replies 3

michael.leblanc
Level 4
Level 4

Try identifying the processes that are consuming the most CPU time, and work from there.

show processes cpu sorted 5min

Thank u for ur reply. I have checked, i have attached the output for ur review. Appreciate your suggestions.

Respectfully, my suggestion was where you would begin your diagnosis, not where I would begin diagnosing your issue.

The file you posted has not been sorted per the recommended command, and is unnecessarily difficult to review.

The top line of output also confirms that you were not experiencing high CPU utilization at or around the time of issuing the command. Therefore the output will not tell you what you need to know. The command needs to be issued during a period of high CPU utilization for the output to be useful.

Also, if you use:

show process cpu history

... three graphs will be dumped to the CLI which may give you visibility into the frequency and duration of periods of high CPU utilization.

You may use that info to correlate high CPU utilization with events like ISAKMP/IPSec rekeying etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: