cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3845 and Firewalling

matthew.sarro
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings everyone! I apologize if this question is asked in lay terms, I'm just beginning my CCNA and my company would like me to set up a secure network utilizing a cisco 3845 router.

Simply put, we need some form of firewall. Is this already an included option on the router? Or will we need a seperate appliance? If there is a seperate appliance, can it be purchased as a module for the router?

The documentation says that it supports a stateful cisco IOS firewall. However I cannot find further description about whether "supports" means that it includes the ios firewall, or if it is a feature pack that has to be purchased seperately. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

As I said, I am still very new, so please be gentle :)

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Matthew

Your router is capable of running the IOS firewall feature but you may not have the right version of IOS on your router.

IOS comes with different features and different costs and you will need a certain level of IOS to run the firewall.

Can you post the output from the router of a

"sh version"

This will show which IOS version you are running.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card