cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 5520 Rule configurations...

alatzas
Level 1
Level 1

I am new the the ASA5520 coming from a checkpoint world. I am setting up my acl's (i am used to them being called rules) and noticed that my options are permit and deny. In the Checkpoint world I was able to also tag the line with drop. This was due to the fact that (atleast with checkpoint) even if you said deny it would send a response packet back to the source. Will this happen with the ASA with only a deny or does this firewall handle the deny packets differently?

Thanks in advance

Pete

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mmorris11
Level 4
Level 4

The cisco acl which denys is sending the packet to the bit bucket. I can only imagine that the "deny" feature that you are referring to with the CHeckpoint product would amount to a TCP reset and as such would only be applicable when dealing with TCP traffic. This level of fuctionality is delivered at IPS/IDS level on Cisco solutions. CBAC in IOS has an architecture more similar I suppose:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6586/products_qanda_item09186a008009464d.shtml#qa3

but is still not as monolithic as what you have described with the "rule" concept in Checkpoint.

HTH

mike

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mmorris11
Level 4
Level 4

The cisco acl which denys is sending the packet to the bit bucket. I can only imagine that the "deny" feature that you are referring to with the CHeckpoint product would amount to a TCP reset and as such would only be applicable when dealing with TCP traffic. This level of fuctionality is delivered at IPS/IDS level on Cisco solutions. CBAC in IOS has an architecture more similar I suppose:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6586/products_qanda_item09186a008009464d.shtml#qa3

but is still not as monolithic as what you have described with the "rule" concept in Checkpoint.

HTH

mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card