cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA 5505 Serial Console Help

jkorkiner
Level 1
Level 1

Whenever I make a connection to the Cisco ASA 5505 through the serial console cable and Putty I get nothing but random characters displayed on the screen. I have checked with Hyperterminal as well with the same results. I have tried different baud rates suggested by Cisco. Any suggestions? This ASA is in front of a dedicated server that is colocated and out of my physical reach. I am having the company connect a new console cable, but I want to see if anyone else had any suggestions.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

andhingr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you try rebooting the ASA while connected to the console to see if it helps. The hyperterminal settings should be left at default setting. If you still don't get access I suspect this could be bad cable or console port.

Hope this helps!

- AD

Thanks will give it one more shot. The settings are still default. If not will locate a new cable, and hopefully it is not a bad console port.

Make sure the computer that you are using is able to console into other devices like switches and routers without any problem using the same console cable.

-KS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card