Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco asa 5510 IOS upgradation

Hi All ,

Greetings of the day!!!

I have to upgrade my cisco ASA  IOS from 8.2.3 to 8.4.4(1).

Could i upgrade the ios directly from 8.2.3 to 8.4.4(1) OR

I Should go step by step means 8.2.3 to 8.2.4 to 8.2.5 to 8.3.1 to 8.3.2 to 8.4.1 to 8.4.2 to 8.4.3 to 8.4.4 to 8.4.4(1).

Also my current asdm version is 6.3.3 and as per compatibility matrix of ios and asdm I have upgrade it with 6.4.9 or later.

Please suggest that can i directly upgrade the asdm version  from 6.3.3 to 6.4.9 .

Also please suggest after the upgradation of ios and asdm software there will be any change in old configuration or the configuration will remain unchanged.

also after upgradation is there any requirement to install the feature key again .

please suggest.....

Thanks & Regards,

Madhuraj

5 Replies 5

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Madhu,

you can do upgrade from 8.2 to 8.3 and then to 8.4....

Upgrade Path

ASA 8.2 (2 ) ———>ASA 8.3(2)———->ASA8.4 (4)

ASDM ---->6.4(9) -- you can do direct upgrade to 6.4 9 version

Regards

Karthik

Hi Karthik,

Thanks for reply....

is it not possible to upgrade directly from 8.2.3 to 8.4.4(!).

If I go it then what type of major issue regarding configuration change can happen or It will not upgrade from 8.2.3 to 8.4.4(1).

Waiting for reply....

Thanks ,

Madhuraj 

Given that you have upgraded the memory on the ASA to the required amount, you can upgrade directly to 8.4.4.  However, You will need to enter all the configuration manually and do all the NAT and ACL changes manually.

The upgrade path is in place so that you will have minimum need to change the configuration manually as the ASA will do most if not all the conversion of the configuration.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

Hi marius,

Thanks for the reply!!!

If i go through step by step then also the need to change the configuration manually.

Also please tell me about the licensing part is there will any new license will required to activate the feature again.or how do i can save the license or license key before the upgrade activity.

Please suggest.....

Thanks 

Madhuraj

If you go step by step you MIGHT have to do some manual configuration...however the upgrade path is there so that most if not all of the configure changes are done automatically.

I will say however that the times I have done the upgrade path, the ASA does add in some un-needed configuration from time to time.  So depending on how long your configuration file is, I would go for the manual method as that does give me more control over what is going on.  However if there are hundreds of NAT rules then I would suggest going the upgrade path.

--

--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: