cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ASA 5520 supports wan link speed in mbps

Sunil Jadhav
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco ASA5520 supports How many Mbps link speed?

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Check this document for specs for the different ASA models.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/vpndevc/ps6032/ps6094/ps6120/prod_brochure0900aecd80285492.pdf

The ASA5520 model has GigabitEthernet interfaces but its actual throughput/performance doesnt match that

- Jouni

Hi,

In the document for ASA5520 throughput is 450Mbps.

but nothing written  WAN link access speed ?

i have two  internet leased line each one is 50Mbps , can i terminate on ASA5520 ?

Hi,

The ASA5520 by default has GigabitEthernet interfaces. So it can form a 1Gbps link with another device but as the 450Mbps throughput suggests, it cant fully utilize that link, even half of it.

The 50Mbps connection is most probably formed between the device ISP provides you and the ISP equipment at their datacenter. This naturally depends on actual media used to provide you the connection. It might even be a 100Mbps Fiber connection that has been set to 50Mbps on the ISP side through configurations.

One thing to notice since you mention 2 WAN connections. The ASA doesnt handle 2 WAN links particularly well. To my knowledge the only real supported form of using 2 WAN links with ASA is where the other WAN link simply acts as the backup and isnt used until the primary WAN fails.

Naturally there are ways to setup the ASA to utilize both of the WAN links.

For example virtualizing the ASA to Multiple Context Mode and letting 2 Security Contexts have their own WAN links. Or perhaps use special NAT configurations to manipulate your local LAN networks traffic to utilize both WAN links.

- Jouni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card