Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco asa 5585 MultiContext !!!!

thundercisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Is it possible to have context in transperant mode and routed mode. Means if i need three context then 2 of them is in routed mode and one of them is in transperant mode. If yes then how, i can 't find this info in cisco website.???

I am havin 5585-x and asa version 8.4

thnx

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I guess it must be available already in the ASA "blades/modules" that you can use with Cisco 6500 -series.

To my understanding actual ASA doesnt have software 8.5 out yet. The ASA modules have the software already.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

varrao
Level 10
Level 10

No Gursimranjeet,

It is a system level configuration and not context level, it can only be applied to the complete box, rather than contexts.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

thnx Varun, but does that means that since my system configuration says that firewall is  in routed mode than all context created will be in routed mode!!!????

No way to have mix mode!!!

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the possiblity to have transparent and routed firewall in multiple context mode is coming in the future software realease.

- Jouni

Agreed to Jouni, as i have heared the same but i cannot find documentation in this anywhere??

Hi Gursimranjeet,

Thats right, all the contexts can either be in routed mode or transparent mode, they cannot be mixed:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa82/command/reference/ef.html#wp1933585

This should clear it out for you.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao

Hi,

I found some more info see at this document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/docs/security/asa/asa84/command/reference/ef.html#wp2016768

Usage Guidelines

In 8.4(1) and earlier in In multiple context mode, you can use only one firewall mode for all contexts. You must set the mode in the system configuration. This command also appears in each context configuration for informational purposes only; you cannot enter this command in a context.

In 8.5(1) and later in multiple context mode, you can set this command per context.

When you change modes, the ASA clears the configuration because many commands are not supported for both modes. If you already have a populated configuration, be sure to back up your configuration before changing the mode; you can use this backup for reference when creating your new configuration.

If you download a text configuration to the ASA that changes the mode with the firewall transparent command, be sure to put the command at the top of the configuration; the ASA changes the mode as soon as it reads the command and then continues reading the configuration you downloaded. If the command is later in the configuration, the ASA clears all the preceding

Hi,

I guess it must be available already in the ASA "blades/modules" that you can use with Cisco 6500 -series.

To my understanding actual ASA doesnt have software 8.5 out yet. The ASA modules have the software already.

- Jouni

Its the ASA-SM module that has it, all the 8.5 versions are only for ASA-SM modules which have now replaced the FWSM module.

Thanks,

Varun

Thanks,
Varun Rao
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card