Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco ASA - IGMP Stub and multicast forwarding

Hello,

I am trying to set up a configuration using an ASA 5510 ( V 8.2(1) ) in routing mode to

- act as an IGMP stub in one way

- transparently forward multicast stream in the other way

I used 2 commands (the "multicast-routing" is enabled)

- igmp forward interface (for the IGMP proxy)

- igmp static-group (to forward defined multicast streams) (by the way, it's a shame I cannot use the " igmp static-group * " command like on a C3750)

The following schematic will help you understand:

picture.png

On my LAN, the user is subscribing to the remote Cam 2 multicast stream (230.0.0.1). And on the same LAN, the Cam 1 is sending multicast stream (225.0.0.1) that has to be transparently forwarded to the WAN for distant subscribers.

BUT, the thing is that I cannot use both commands at the same time. In this configuration, the ASA is blocking the Cam 1 stream. Only the incoming stream is forwarded to the LAN. If I disable the IGMP stub function, the Cam 1 stream is going through the firewall! It seems that the first command is suppressing the second command.

So I've found a solution (not THE solution): I use a double physical interface to the WAN from the ASA:

picture2.png

But this is a very "strange" solution...

So do you know why the two commands seems to be incompatible?

(I have one constraint: I cannot enable the PIM protocol on the ASA, It MUST transparently)

Thank you!

2 REPLIES

Re: Cisco ASA - IGMP Stub and multicast forwarding

I can see this is an old post but I was working with a similar issue with Cisco support. They had me put the static join on both LAN and WAN interfaces.

Re: Cisco ASA - IGMP Stub and multicast forwarding

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking I was the only one in this situation.

I didn't think to put the command on both interfaces but I've found an alternative solution (with the mroute command if I remember correctly).

Views
Helpful
Replies