Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco ASA Point-to-Point Stub Configuration

All -

I have an ASA (US-HEN) on a public IP that is a fiber based connection.  Then there is a private point-to-point from the same fiber service company.  Both ASA are 5510 in routed mode.  The second location (US-LEX) used to have a site-to-site VPN over a DSL connection which has gone away.  So now there is a private point-to-point over a /32 subnet and I'm pointing the ASA at US-LEX back to US-HEN as its default gateway.  Should I put the second ASA (I'm calling this a 'stub' connection) into transparent mode as opposed to routed?

Regards,
Scott

• Firewalling
2 REPLIES

A quick diagram:

Internet ---- US-HEN outside ---- US-HEN ptp (192.168.0.1) ---- US-LEX ptp (192.168.0.2) ---- US-LEX inside

sec-level 0               sec-level 100                         sec-level 100                         sec-level 100

I have turned on permit inter and intra interface and the following routing exists:

US-HEN

1.  ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [public IP gateway]

2.  ip route 192.168.x.x [US-LEX] 192.168.0.2

US-LEX

1.  ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1

Should I specify NAT exemptions in both directions for traffic?  I would think that I wouldn't need that unless traffic is about to go over a site-to-site VPN tunnel.

I was also thinking about configuring it with 'ip permit any any' statements to allow all of the traffic in/out and disabling NAT.  Really I just need it to function like a router at this point and not so much a firewall.

Views
Helpful
Replies