Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA Real-Time Log Viewer

isoffice1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone can explain why our Cisco ASA Real-Time Log Viewer is spewing out actual IP addresses instead of the network objects created in the firewall access rules?

Is there a setting somewhere within the GUI which forces the viewer to resolve IP addresses to their corresponding network object?

Many thanks,

JP

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi JP,

It sounds like you already have 'name' entries configured then. Take a look at your config and see if someone configured 'no names' in the running-config. If so, just add the 'names' command in global config mode and names should start appearing in the syslogs again.

-Mike

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mirober2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi JP,

Unfortunately this is not currently possible when using network objects. There is an enhancement request filed to add this option:

CSCtu19014 - host object names need to replace host IP add in ASDM real time log

To acheive this functionality now, you would need to create 'name' entries for the IP addresses. This would cause the name entry to appear in the syslog instead of the IP address. For example:

name 10.1.1.1 hostA

Instead of seeing 10.1.1.1 in the logs, it will displayed as hostA.

Hope that helps.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I was only asking as prior to this morning, the real-time logger did display network objects instead of IP addresses. It only happened today that it reverted to IP addresses only. I had been wondering if someone had been tinkering with the configuration and somehow turned something off. It's only a minor inconvenience, but a inconvenience nonetheless. We are running a Cisco ASA5510, Software Version 8.2(1).

Many thanks,

JP

Hi JP,

It sounds like you already have 'name' entries configured then. Take a look at your config and see if someone configured 'no names' in the running-config. If so, just add the 'names' command in global config mode and names should start appearing in the syslogs again.

-Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks again for your prompt reply.

I ran the CLI tool from the ASDM and input show running-config. Sure enough, 'no names' had somehow appeared in the config. Was able to submit the 'names' command you recommended and everything is now working as before. Many thanks for your advice.

Best regards,

JP

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card