Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASA SLA monitoring

I'm trying to configure an SLA on some of our ASAs and I want to monitor the hostname of a destination rather than the IP address.  The CLI gives me an option to enter IP or hostname, but when I try and use a name rather than an IP address I get:

(config-sla-monitor)# type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho ?

sla-monitor mode commands/options:

Hostname or A.B.C.D  IP address or hostname

(config-sla-monitor)# type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho google.com

^

ERROR: % Invalid Hostname

(config)# ping google.com

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 173.194.37.128, timeout is 2 seconds:

!!!!!

Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 40/46/50 ms

Any ideas or suggestions?  I've tried local hostnames just to make sure it wasn't a resolution issue.  Substituting with the IP address works fine.  We just have a particluar vendor we depend on that has a propensity to change IP addresses to a cloud app we depend on and not tell us.

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.       

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.
2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Always used the IP address so I have no previous expirience of configuring with hostname.

The Command Reference is very vague with regards to the definition of the hostname.

Initially I thought that he problem might be that the DNS lookups are not enabled on the ASA so it is not able to determine the IP address itself.

This didnt seem to make a difference.

Then I configured the following

name 1.1.1.1 test

After which it accepted the command with the hostname configured as "test".

So I am guessing the hostname refers to the "name" configurations of the  ASA and if that is the case then I would consider it a pretty useless option.

I tried to configure an "object network GOOGLE" that uses "fqdn www.google.com" but it doesnt accept this "object" as the value for the hostname. So I am not really sure if I am missing something with regards to what else could be entered there other than something referenced in the "name" configuration.

On a quick search I could not find anything online in which someone is actually using a hostname instead of the IP address.

Also slightly adding to the confusion is the fact that the Configuration Guide makes no mention of hostname when giving instructions on configuring the target which to monitor for route tracking.

Starting to seem to me that there is no option to use a DNS name as the target for monitoring.

- Jouni

Thanks JouniForss!  I really appreciate the effort.  I thought about the "name" option but didn't try it.  I agree with you that if this is the reference for the hostname, it's useless - at least for what I'm trying to accomplish.  All of my research has yielded pretty much what you summed up, nothing clear.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: