Helpful
Replies

cisco asa traffic flow with destination nat

secureIT
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Folks,

Can anybody comment on the below.

1.  in source natting (inside users accessing internet), first the NAT will happen then the routing will happen. I agree with this..

2. in destination natting (outside users accessing inside server on public ip), what will happen first, NATTING or Routing. I am looking forward to hear an explanation.

regards

Rajesh

21 Replies 21

Anthony.Herman
Level 1
Level 1

5 is matching the rule prior to inspection.

6 is applying inspection

7 is modifying ip addressing per Nat rule.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Ok, is that 5 says, check the source and destination in NAT rules but dont apply

And 7 says, apply the nat translation for source/destination

Is that they are trying to convey ?

Hi,

It would seem logical to me atleast.

Though it still leaves me with a question about the L3 lookup.

The document seems to state that the translation will determine the egress interface. Yet if I have configured Dynamic PAT from one LAN interface to 2x WAN interface then the active default route determines which Dynamic PAT is applied.

So this kind of confuses me still.

- Jouni

Anthony.Herman
Level 1
Level 1

5 would be checking to see if a NAT rule exists in the config PRIOR to translation to reduce overhead I would assume. There is no point in performing inspection and afterwards dropping the traffic.

6 Is applying inspection engines (mpf)

7 is THEN applying the translation. (Rewriting IP headers)

I'm not sure where the confusion is here, all connections should be understood from the Ingress > Egress standpoint. The picture under the heading ASA Packet Process Algorithm explains it beautifully on http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_tech_note09186a0080ba9d00.shtml

Hi,

I am just wondering for example the following simple example (I ignored the typical "track" and "sla" configuration that would be normally used in this situation to have the automatic failover of the default route between the ISPs.)

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

nameif ISP-1

security-level 0

ip add 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.248

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

nameif ISP-2

security-level 0

ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.248

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

nameif LAN

security-level 100

ip add 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

route ISP-1 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 1

route ISP-2 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 2.2.2.1 254

global (ISP-1) 1 interface

global (ISP-2) 1 interface

nat (inside) 1 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

So if we look at the document, it makes no mention of any L3 lookup except after applying the NAT configurations. In the above situation I would imagine there is a NAT that could apply for the LAN network to the direction of either ISP-1 or ISP-2.

So which ISP interfaces NAT configurations is applied if no decision egress interface has been made according to the routing table?

And if no routing table affects the NAT chosen, how exactly is the NAT chosen on the basis of the above 2 possibilities?

- Jouni

Hi Anthony,

We were discussing on Destination-NAT traffic flow Vs Source-NAT.

In source-NAT, as per the link which you provided, NAT will happen before Routing. What about for Destination-NAT ?

regards

Rajesh. P

Anthony.Herman
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Jay, very interesting breakdown.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card