Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ASA5505 sla monitoring

martin.elias
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not sure how does the SLA monitoring works...

Example:

sla monitor 123
 type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 10.0.0.1 interface outside
 num-packets 3
 frequency 10!--- Configure a new monitoring process with the ID 123.  Specify the
!--- monitoring protocol and the target network object whose availability the tracking
!--- process monitors.  Specify the number of packets to be sent with each poll.
!--- Specify the rate at which the monitor process repeats (in seconds).

When does the routing table change the default route?

If the 3 send packets will get 3x timeout response or it's enought that just one of those 3 packets dont respond?

I would like to set up that the routing table (default route) will rebuild after 30 second of timeout the primary default gateway.

Many thanks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

2 Replies 2

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

You are missing the track configuration. Track 1 rtr 123 reachability

And then:

sla monitor schedule 123 life forever start-time now

The track is attached to the SLA, so when you pick one default route to monitor (The one with the lower administrative distance) you add the track command, for example:

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 200.20.20.1 1 track 1

route outside2 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 200.30.30.1 254

The firewall will be monitoring the first route and when it fails, it will remove it from the routing table.

If the 3 send packets will get 3x timeout response or it's enought that just one of those 3 packets dont respond?

There is a threshold that can be configured to say how many packets you will expect.

Mike

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike,

it was just a piece of full sla configuration I know, it was just for example...

I have full configuration and it's working but i dont know how exactly.

Therefore i have some questions:

When does the routing table change the default route in upper configuration example?

If 3 send packets will get 3x timeout response or it's enought that just one of those 3 packets dont respond?

I  would like to set up that the routing table  (default route) will  rebuild after 30 second of timeout the primary  default gateway.

Threshold is in (Millisecond threshold value) and it dont solve my problem.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card