Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Cisco PIX 501 Password Recovery

Hello

I have problem recovering my cisco 501 pix password. I followed instructions on this page http://www-tss.cisco.com/eservice/compass/common/activities/password_PIX.htm#sample but it seems its not working. I cant ping my TFTP Server on my pc. I tryed to disable firewall on my pc, i did a fresh install Windows but still i cant ping my TFTP Server on my PC.

I did like this :

I gave my PC ip address 192.168.1.1

In pix terminal :

address 192.168.1.2

server 192.168.1.1

ping 192.168.1.1 dont work zero passes

So what should i do or what am i doing wrong?

Tnx in advance

8 REPLIES

Re: Cisco PIX 501 Password Recovery

Did you specify the correct interface you are using? Are you using a straight thru or cover cable?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Im just using console cable. Should i use ethernet cable too?

Tnx in advance

Yes - you need to connect the PIX to the TFTP server via an Ethernet Cable, the console cable is just for console access. 

In the URL you posted - there is a diagram showing you the physical requirements for the process to work.

Hi

I connected my PIX whit my PC i also connected PIX whit my LAPTOP, but in both cases it didnt worked. Ping still unreachable to any of my PCs from PIX. I checked packet flow to my PC and it says packets arrived to my PC but still cant ping my PCs.

In my PC i configure network like this :

network address : 192.168.2.100

subnet : 255.255.255.0

gateway : 192.168.2.1

In PIX :

interface 1

address 192.168.2.1

gateway 192.168.2.1

server 192.168.2.100

ping 192.168.2.100 doesnt work

then i should use :

file np63.bin

tftp

but no luck.

Did you configure your PC/Laptop interface with a correct IP address??  Are you running a TFTP server on the PC/Laptop?  Is the Windows or any firewall enabled that would block the TFTP on the PC/Laptop?

I have performed lots of these password recoverys, and followed the url you provider many times in the past.  If it is not working - it will be a step you have missed.

Well i dont know what you mean whit correct IP address. I add network address 192.168.2.100, subnet 255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.2.1 , yes i am running TFTP server on PC/Laptop. Firewall was disabled and i did a fresh install of Windows whit no program installed but couldnt ping it.

Basicly in my case only ping is problem, when i will be able to ping i will be also able to perform a TFTP command.

I remember my PIX config had an IP 192.168.2.1, so if i use 192.168.2.1 as my Gateway ip address on PC it should be right choise.

I managed to get it to work . I deleted firewall and changed PCs IP address to 192.168.2.2 and than ping worked. So happy now

Tnx for help

Glad to help - happy it worked for you.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content