cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco PIX 515E Version 7.2 TCP Reset-O

alfredmorel23
Level 1
Level 1

I have a small issue with my Cisco PIX 515E running a ipsec tunnel from cisco pix to a check point firewall.  The only traffic that is passing through this tunnel is just SSL traffic for our outlook email clients connecting to an exchange server through RPC HTTPS.  But what I am noticing is that I am receiving TCP Reset-O  in my loggs about every 26 to 28 minutes and I believe that creates a domino affect because then I start seeing TCP Reset-I from client connections; but I believe the TCP Reset-O starts the affect.  I know that TCP Reset-O means that the connection is being reset from the outside server but I was wondering if creating a policy-map on the cisco pix extending the the timeout-session for all SSL traffic going through the ipsec tunnel to last 6hrs or more because I am also noticing that the outlook email clients establish a 12 SSL connection per user going to the exchange server over ipsec tunnel so I want the timeout value to be for a while.  I think the issue is on the checkpoint killing the connection after a certain time period but if its not I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how to resolve tcp connection issues timing out?

1 Reply 1

Edward Dutra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Alfred...

The PIX is reporting exactly what it sees, which is a request to terminate the TCP session. The PIX will teardown the session immediately since one of the endpoints no longer wishes to communicate on the flow. You would be unable to extend the timeout when the reset is sent. It would be best to understand why the reset is sent in the first place by the end host rather than trying to extend timers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card