Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco security manager 4.2 client install

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have Cisco Security Manger 4.2 installed on a server for the last few years.  i want to put a client on my laptop so i have downloaded the full install.  When i try to run it - it says the software can only run on windows 2008 R2.

How can i run the client on my laptop and connect successfully to the server? 

regards,

Kevin

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like you are trying to install the server software. The CSM 4.2 client runs on many Windows versions (Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 per the Deployment Planning Guide).

If you browse to your server, the server web home page should have the links for you to download the correct client image for local installaiton.

(click on image for bigger view)

View solution in original post

Download and run the client installer. That will give you several client appliations, including the Cisco Security Manager Event Viewer.

As shown below, Event Viewer shows you all of the log messages sent from the managed devices:

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It sounds like you are trying to install the server software. The CSM 4.2 client runs on many Windows versions (Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2 per the Deployment Planning Guide).

If you browse to your server, the server web home page should have the links for you to download the correct client image for local installaiton.

(click on image for bigger view)

Hi Marvin

I have received similar page like this.. what is further proceeding after this page for checking accumalation of CSM logs...

Download and run the client installer. That will give you several client appliations, including the Cisco Security Manager Event Viewer.

As shown below, Event Viewer shows you all of the log messages sent from the managed devices:

ya marvin exactly these is thing i used to monitored.. but what things i need to observed in this event viewer could u brief it.. i  know that i am asking very chilly question.. please reply it if u dont mind it for my small question. Since i am handling these device first time...

The screenshot I showed is not how I would set it up in production as we show above with level 6 (informational) messages - that is very verbose and setup that way in our lab.

Typically you would setup your production devices to send syslog at a logging level 4 (warnings) or 5 (notifications). That way only the more important messages are sent to the CSM server and when you open event viewer you don't see a message for every single TCP connection setup and teardown as is the case above.

So in your ASA that would look like:

logging host interface_name syslog_ip

logging trap {severity_level | message_list}

If you are not allowed to change the ASA, then you can sort the messages in the above screen by severity level and watch for only the higher severity level messages and use the informational messages only when engaging in troubleshooting activities.

thank u marvin.....

You're welcome. Please rate helpful answers.

Marvin,

I got their in the end.  I did this:

1) Create a proxy exception on my laptop for the csm server ip address

2) Connect via webpage whatever your csm server IP address is

https://192.x.x.x/cwhp/CSMSDesktop/CSMSHome.jsp

3) Download and run the client installer

4) Login and make firewall changes

Detailed instructions on how to run the client are found in the CSM 4.2 user guide

thanks for the quick replys and helpful suggestions

Kevin

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card