inspect icmp
!
service-policy global_policy global
username admin password RS6hkLNrh/9fCzGC encrypted privilege 15
prompt hostname context
Cryptochecksum:b496f66403b8d94b36238fb2567b8cd2
: end
pb-gw2#

We are establishing a connection with Cisco VPN Client ver. 5.0.07.0290 to the external VPN Host 95.86.133.30. Connection is established successfully, then we try to open link https://x.x.x.x:7777/accr. This is the link to the system where you are authenticated with a certificate already installed i personal certificate store. Certificate is valid.

Thing is, that if we are trying to do this while behind the ASA - internet explorer displays his favourite "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage".

If we connect the laptop directly to the internet with public ip address - everything works fine. As I undesrtand the problem is localized - something is missing from ASA configuration. The question is - what?

Will appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK, I understand what the problem is now.

There is nothing wrong with the ASA 5505. However, because ASA is only doing PAT, then you would need NAT-T to be enabled on the VPN device (95.86.133.30), so the VPN traffic (ESP) is encapsulated into UDP or TCP.

Alternatively, if you have spare public ip address, you can also configure static NAT for the PC where you have the vpn client (192.168.10.83) as follows:

static (inside,outside) 81.21.95.x 192.168.10.83 netmask 255.255.255.255

"x" would be a spare public ip address that you have. Then "clear xlate" after the changes.

If you don't have a spare public IP address, then you would need to ask the remote VPN device to enable NAT-T.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Don't quite understand your topology. Can you please share your topology diagram on how the ASA and the VPN device are connected?

The VPN is terminated on another device and how is the VPN device connects to the ASA5505 that passes through the VPN traffic? I assume that your VPN device is also a Cisco device possibly an ASA? since you are using Cisco VPN Client to connect.

And when you say trying to connect to https://x.x.x.x:7777/accr after connected via VPN, where is x.x.x.x connected? Inside the ASA or on the Internet? Is that public ip address or private ip address?

Thanks for the reply.

Here is the topology:

Hope situation is more clear now. Will happy to provide any additional information.

Note: Remote VPN Host is not managed by us, it belongs to other organization which provides the access to their information system.

Again - everything works fine when my laptop is connected directly to the internet - I think something is happening to the packets when they are passing ASA.

Hey,

Well looking at the scenarios you have descriped, the only difference when connectin laptop through the ASA and without the ASA is the fact that ASA is going to be performing NAT on the traffic pasing thorugh it. Now, with dynamic PAT (nat and global command) on the ASA, ESP(IPSec traffic) will not pass through. The reason for that is as below:

The header of encrypted packets is going to be as below:

|      |         |                        |

|  IP |  ESP| Encrypted Data |

|      |         |                        |

Now with Dynamic PAT, both the IP address and port number is translated. Now, in the above situation, the ESP header does not have any port numbers for the ASA to be able to translate and hence will fail.

On the Remote VPN headend, please have a check if "NAT traversal" is enabled. What this does is inserts a UDP header in between the IP and ESP header which the ASA can use to translate the port number as well:

|      |          |        |                        |

|  IP |  UDP | ESP| Encrypted Data |

|      |          |        |                        |

I hope this is clear enough. I am guessing the reaosn for the connection failing is due to the above fact. To confirm this, please enable NAT traversal on the headend. Also, are you able to ping/connect to any device thoruhg the VPN tunnel thorugh the ASA?

Thanks and Regards,

Prapanch

Please advise how to enable NAT Traversal?

What do you mean by headend? The other remote firewall?

Hi,

Yes by headend i mean the remote firewall to which the clients are connecting. What is that device?

Regards,

Prapanch

I will try to get some information, but as it is a government organization, I'm sure no additional information will be provided

Assume we don't know what device is there. And as I wrote in my previous post in this topic, we were doing ok while we had ISA 2006 as a firewall.

Thank you.

To enable it on the ASA, the command is "crypto isakmp nat-traversal". Do you have syslogs from the ASA when trying to send traffic from the VPN client? You should be able to see some syslogs for the client's IP address and the remote firewall's IP adress.

Regards,

Prapanch

I also need to know howe to enable Nat traversal on ASA.\

Thanks in advance

Do you know whether it is split tunnel or no split tunnel VPN Client? Once you are connected, you can check under statistics --> route. If you can share the screenshot of that, it would help.

Also, what is x.x.x.x? Is that behind the other remote ASA? private IP or public IP? If you can access it from the internet, I assume that it will be public IP address. Most times when you try to access it via VPN, you would need to access the private IP address instead if it is actually connected behind the remote ASA. Please check how NATing is done for x.x.x.x if it's behind ASA when accessing it via VPN.

Screenshot attached.

Also, what is x.x.x.x? Is that behind the other remote ASA? private IP  or public IP? If you can access it from the internet, I assume that it  will be public IP address. Most times when you try to access it via VPN,  you would need to access the private IP address instead if it is  actually connected behind the remote ASA. Please check how NATing is  done for x.x.x.x if it's behind ASA when accessing it via VPN.

x.x.x.x as you can see from the network topology is 172.23.19.5 (private IP), and this host is behind the remote firewall 95.86.133.30 (public IP), i'm not sure if this is asa or any other vendor supplied firewall.

All components of the remote network are neither physically available, nor configurable for me.

Everything worked fine when we were using connection to this remote VPN host when we had ISA Server 2006 as firewall. But now it's gone and  I need to configure this on ASA 5505.

Think this would make situation more clear.

Thanks for all your help and time!

orhan.tagizade
Level 1
Level 1

syslog files are attached.

Cisco ASA5505 8.0.(2)

Syslog level: Debugging

Facility: Local7 and Local4 (if it does make any sense)

Hope this help to narrow down the problem.

OK, I understand what the problem is now.

There is nothing wrong with the ASA 5505. However, because ASA is only doing PAT, then you would need NAT-T to be enabled on the VPN device (95.86.133.30), so the VPN traffic (ESP) is encapsulated into UDP or TCP.

Alternatively, if you have spare public ip address, you can also configure static NAT for the PC where you have the vpn client (192.168.10.83) as follows:

static (inside,outside) 81.21.95.x 192.168.10.83 netmask 255.255.255.255

"x" would be a spare public ip address that you have. Then "clear xlate" after the changes.

If you don't have a spare public IP address, then you would need to ask the remote VPN device to enable NAT-T.

Dear Jennifer, Prapanch,

Thank you for your help!

Today i finally reached the CCIE from IT Outsourcing company, which provides maintenance for that particular VPN gateway, which is btw Cisco PIX Firewall. Indeed, the company had that guy switch NAT-T off

Now, as Jennifer advised, I will try to check if Static Nat will work for me.

Thank you all for your time and attention!

Great to hear you are able to find out the issue. The static NAT should work.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card