cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Config Files

danielfloyd
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone help me please? I know nothing about firewalls and I need to copy a config froma loan fierwall I have; over to my repaired unit.

I've used Telnet to get into the loan machine, and I've copied the full config into a Notepad document. I've got the console cable and attached it to my laptop so I can gain access to the unit from Hyperterminal, but how do I go about copying the config file over to my repaired PIX 515 unit? Incidentally both the loan unit and the repaired unit are running OS V6.3.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Danny

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Danny

If you have the config in notepad you should be able to access the repaired unit, get into privilege mode, go into config mode, and paste the config back. Especially since both machines are running the same OS there should not be issues about command compatibility.

The main issue that I see in this has to do with passwords (we do not know at this point how many passwords you may have configured - for example do you have VPN users configured with their passwords). When you show the config and copy and paste it, the PIX does not show crypto text (as routers do), so when you paste the config in it does not have any useable information about the content of the passwords.

If you use TFTP to copy the config from the loaner to some server (perhaps even your own PC with freeware TFTP server) and then copy it to the repaired unit, then you should get the entire config including passwords.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: