cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Static Route Tracking Using ASDM 7.1(3) ASA 9.1(2)

jeggleston
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently updated my ASA5520 to 9.1(2) and I am using ASDM 7.1(3) to configure Static Route Tracking. I have done this previoussy in earlier version of ASDM without a problem.  There seems to be a new field in the Tracked Options section.  What is the "Target Interface"?  Is it the interface I want to use as the standby route when the Monitor fails? Or is it the Interface that is doing the monitoring?

I have looked through Cisco ASA Series General Operations ASDM Configuration Guide Software Version 7.1, as well as older ASDM books and this field is never listed or described.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

The target interface will be the interface through which you will be polling some destination IP address with ICMP Echos to determine if the route through that interface is still valid.

So in your case you would use "Outside"

Heres the link to the ASA Command Reference listing the above "type" command under the "sla monitor 1" configuration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/command-reference/t2.html#wp1568359

- Jouni

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I typically only use the CLI to configure the ASA.

But by the looks of it the "Target Interface" just tells us what interface to use as the target for the destination IP address that is going to be monitored.

In my case the configuration using the "Target Interface" could for example look like this in CLI format (WAN is the name of my external firewall interface)

sla monitor 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 1.1.1.1 interface WAN

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

Thanks for the reply.  So, I am setting up the route tracking on my "Outside" interface, I have another interface, "Hotwire" with a higher Metric, that I want to failover to when the ping fails.  Should the "Hotwire" interface be the Target Interface?

- Jeff

Hi,

The target interface will be the interface through which you will be polling some destination IP address with ICMP Echos to determine if the route through that interface is still valid.

So in your case you would use "Outside"

Heres the link to the ASA Command Reference listing the above "type" command under the "sla monitor 1" configuration

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/command-reference/t2.html#wp1568359

- Jouni

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: