cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection uptime length ordering and sorting

bnidacoc
Level 1
Level 1

I have a need to sort and view current connections and examine the "uptime" component of each connection.

For example, if one issues the command, "sh conn long" one can get the uptime value, like " uptime 11D13h."

I need to examine this traffic and examine the conns with the long uptimes. However, the ASA (7.2) does not appear to offer an option for sorting based on real time.

I've never been a coder, scripter, hacker, so if there is some way to use excel to convert "uptime 11D13h" and "uptime 1m46s" into their appropriate values so it can be accurately sorted, that would be good.

Any ideas.

7 Replies 7

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Presently there is no way to get that sh conn long output sorted to display the longest to the shortest.

Thanks.

Wow, I doubt I am the only one whom has wanted to audit connections.... and take into account connection time length.

Is there some way to request features for Cisco Products outside of going to our account team? Has Cisco embraced a feature request system like that which is used to track, develope, and deploy feature requests as in the open source community.

At least if something is tracked with some way to track it I know it will not go into some unknown place to which I never get a response or status update of.

I am working on that. I can file an enhancement request for this so a "sort" keyword gets added in the future release.

Pls. contact your local Cisco account team and indicate to them how critical this feature is for your enterprise. They will in turn get in touch with the business unit and will be able to drive the enhancement request further.

Here is the enhancement defect ID CSCsz86509

You can view it here:

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/

Logged into my CCO account, I cannot view that CSC.

I did not know that Cisco even documented feature requests. Like I've said before, I do not believe I've received feedback or confirmation of feature requests.

Any progress on this feature enhancement?

Thanks for your initiative with this.

At the least, it would be extremely helpful if Cisco would migrate away from the "11D13h" format for time representation or offer a command option to convert it. I would honestly suspect that Cisco's firewall software really keeps track of this info in milliseconds, not in DHMS.

I can not figure out how to sort it correctly after I've imported into excel. Excel sorts it something like this...

10d

10h

10m

10s

11d

11h

11m

11s

So, the hour long connections are grouped with the seconds long connection and such. When one has 6 thousand lines, cutting through this visually does not scale. And like I said before, I'm not a much of a scripter. I'm sure to some skilled scripters, changing 11h30m into seconds on thousands of lines is a 5 minute development task. For myself, it would be much longer chore.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: