Views
Helpful
Replies

Contexts with Active-Active configuration

bapatsubodh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Having read the Active-Active configuration for context's it is still not clear to me. Here is what I understood please correct if I am wrong.

I have four different contexts and one admin context.

1. If I configure ASA - Unit-1 as an active device for context_1 and context_2. Obviously ASA Unit-2 is failover device for context_1 and context_2.

2. Next, I will configure ASA Unit-1 as a failover device for context_3 and context_4. Obviously ASA Unit-2 will be active for Coontext_3 and context_4.

3. So when, all is well tarffic for Context_1 and context_2 will be forwarded by Unit-1 and traffic for context_3 and context_4 will be forwarded by Unit-2.

4. When one unit fails due to some reason, second unit will be only device forwarding traffic for all the four contexts.

Please correct if I am wrong.

Share the experience.

Thanks in advance

subodh

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Subodh

Correct. Active/active still uses the concept of active/standby per context or more specifically per failover group.

So lets say you have 4 contexts + admin.

Contexts 1 & 2 are mapped to failover group 1 as is the admin context.

Contexts 3 & 4 are mapped to failover group 2.

ASA1 is active for failover group 1

ASA2 is active for failover group 2

In normal operation traffic for contexts 1,2 + admin will use ASA1 as active firewall and traffic for contexts 3 & 4 will use ASA2 as active.

If ASA1 failed then all traffic would now use ASA2.

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card