Views
Helpful
Replies

Continuous crashes with ASA 8.2(5)22 on standby unit

ROBERTO GIANA
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I've tried to upgrade a redundant setup from 8.2(4)4 to 8.2(5)22 ending with a stanby ASA continuously crashing after config sync phase. On the first crash it even corrupted the flash, leaving me no choice than initializing the box from scratch.

Is anybody having the same fun with his ASA?

Kind regards

Roberto

4 Replies 4

Fawadnoorkhan_2
Level 1
Level 1

while, this could be a very specific scenario based on your configuration and the code versions.. what does Cisco TAC say?

I have seen something similar with ASA code 7.2 when ESMTP inspection was causing all sorts of issues.    

Sorry. But I haven't got the nerves nor the time to go through 2594 lines of cli and 564 lines of XML with a TAC newbie, meanwhile I've got other customers also with crashing standby ASAs. On the other hand there are some BugIds (CSCtr33228) which point to a crappy software release, with no fix available. Well it's available, but not downloadable. So in fact: it's not available.

We have decided to wait for a newer release and to downgrade in the meantime and remain with a stable 8.2(4)4 release. It's not our job to do an EFT with operational systems.

BTW: Does anybody know why there are so few fixed releases available on CCO? They come out at a rare rate of once at 3 to 6 month, meanwhile BugToolkit points to "fixed in" versions with very fancy numbers.

The reason they are not available on CCO is that they are not suitable for general use. A lot of fixed releases are available but only a Cisco TAC or SE can open a link for you depending on the situation. The bug ID you have provide is for 8.4 code only. Are you looking at the correct bug ID.

1st Found-In

8.4(1.11)

8.4(2)

8.4(2.0)

It seems that it needs a PSIRT info for Cisco to release a new 8.2(5) release with 197 fixed bugIDs.

I have upgraded to 8.2(5)26 and everything works now fine. Had no crashes since over a week.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card