cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dental Office Needs Decent Firewall - Simple PC Tech Needs Your Advice

HIPPA_Dude
Level 1
Level 1

1)  Cisco pre-sale support directed me toward the ASA 5505 as a plug-n-play firewall to put between the cable modem and the existing dumb switch.

2)  We don't currently plan to have remote logins.

3)  Is this a good solution for us?  Suggestions?  This unit seems reasonably priced.  Price is of course an issue.

4)  We need to raise a strong barrier to entry to any potential cracker, and honor the intention of HIPPA.

5)  If I'm not asking much of this firewall, will it ask much of me to configure it?  I'm a quick study but don't want to climb a long learning curve on this dentist's dime.

--Adam

6 Replies 6

Hi,

The ASA 5505 is the smallest Firewall from Cisco from Enterprise.

You can look into the Small Business solutions as well for the SA500 series Firewalls.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/security/index.html-tab-SecuritySolutions

Hope it helps.

Federico.

I regret to say that I am not qualified to choose between the ASA 5505 and the SA 500 firewalls.  Just watched the web video on the SA 500 and it looks good.  The SA 520 looks like the one we would want of the three models in the series.  That said, there were no comparison charts between the SA 500 series and the ASA 5505.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmmm ...

How many users are there?

I don't know if you'll find the 880 or the 890 ISR G2 routers better in terms of affordability.

Thanks, guys.  Appreciate your willingness to jump in.

There are 8 or fewer users that may be actively using the internet.  The rest of the users are dental hygenists with PCs in their operatories, which they use for patient info management and digital xrays.

Also, there seem to be different flavors of the 5505, which makes it more confusing.  One is double the price of the others on Amazon.

There's an ASA with Base license for 10-users.  I believe this is the most affordable.

The other's 5505 are for 50 or unlimited users.

Federico.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: