Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Disable Xlate in ASA 8.1

Hi Expert,

Do you now if it is possible to disable the xlate for some connection?

The ASA has some concurrent session limitation that, I think, is related to xlate connections.

As my firewall is not performing any kind of NAT, is it possible to disabe xlate for some connections.

I saw some options like nat exemption, but i not sure if the xlate still being create even if we don't have a NAT translation.

Thanks

Jorge

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Disable Xlate in ASA 8.1

That is correct And it will still be working stateful, no matter if you are running NAT or not. Xlate is just one of the things that the stateful table uses, but others like source port destination port, inspections and so on are also considered when building the table.

Mike

Mike
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Disable Xlate in ASA 8.1

Jorge,

If you are not running any kind of NAT then thats it.. The xlate timouts that you have dont take effect. They are only going to take effect is there is Xlate entries on the Xlate table.

If you dont have any NAT, the Xlate table is not going to be populated, hence any issues you may have regarding connections are not going to be affected by any of these options.

Mike

Mike

Disable Xlate in ASA 8.1

In case I have some NATs and for some reason I don't like any kind of xlate for specific connections. Can I use NAT exemption? In this case i will not have xlate for the NAT exemption rules?

For this case, with NAT exemption, I believe that the firewall will work like stateless firewall or not?

Thanks In advanced

Cisco Employee

Disable Xlate in ASA 8.1

That is correct And it will still be working stateful, no matter if you are running NAT or not. Xlate is just one of the things that the stateful table uses, but others like source port destination port, inspections and so on are also considered when building the table.

Mike

Mike
Views
Helpful
Replies