cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS config on ASA ?

david
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to install an ASA 5505 on my Bellsouth pppoe DSL service and finally got everything working with the exception of name resolution. I can now ping 4.2.2.2 from an internal client, but I cannot surf the web or ping any servers on the Internet by name. I verified with BellSouth that the DNS servers I'm using are correct. I've tried pushing them out using DHCPD and manually entering them on the client but nothing works. Is there something simple that I'm missing to get name resolution working on the inside interface/network?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

bob.bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

If you know how to use ASDM you can launch that and go to the monitoring page and use the logging feature to see what is being blocked. If you have never used ASDM then HTTPS to the inside interface of the ASA and you will have the option to run it from the web or load ASDM. I recommend loading ASDM. From there login and you can monitor your traffic and look for deny statements in the logs blocking udp or tcp 53

husycisco
Level 7
Level 7

Hi david

Make sure tcp and udp 53 access is allowed in a an ACL that may be grouped to inside interface. Also check fixup protocol for DNS

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card