cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does layer 3 FWSM in multiple contexte support DHCPv6 relay?

ghellai ferhat
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to configure dhcp relay in a layer 3 native-IPv6 context. I don't know how to and I didn't find any relevant documentation.

All I found is that transparent firewall doesn't support IPv6 DHCP relay (I don't eaven see where is the need), I'm just wondering why there is not a lot of documentation talking about it.

Anyway, I'll be gratefull if someone could give me the commands, or show me where to find it.

Thank you.

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't think it's supported.

IPv6 dhcp relay was only added to ASA software as of 9.0 (October 2012). FWSM system software has not kept up with new features since the product reached its end of sales around then (September 2012).

Hi, thanks for the quick response, but does this mean that there is no way to a DHCP client to get an IPv6 address from a server in another vlan in a scenario like this?

if I have layer 3 context with 2 interfaces:

int vlan X fore WIN2008 DHCPv6 server sec level 100,

int vlan Y for lan users sec level 100

Thanks.

You're welcome but sorry - you cannot do IPv6 dhcprelay via a FWSM. Some other device would have to act as the relay between those VLANs (or the FWSM would need be replaced with an ASA SM or 5500X series running 9.x software).

The FWSM has been well known to have only very limited IPv6 support.

Well, since it's not easy to replace our two 6509-e chassis in vss mode with fwsm each by an asa or 9.x 5500X just to get dhcpv6 relay working, i'd rather do if i could, but i think i'll just use the context as layer 2 and create an IPv6 VRF with dhcp relay in users interface, i'll try it tomorrow.

I feel desapointed by IPv6 fwsm limitations.

Thank you very mutch.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card