cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does PIX IOS version 6.1(5) have a problem with DNS zone transfer?

wjemail
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I experienced an issue when I configured zone tansfer between 2 dns servers at internal and external zones. The PIX version is 6.1(5). I believe all the ports (TCP and UDP)are opened. Actually, from internal DNS server, I could query the external DNS server (which is UDP traffic), as well, I could use the 'dig' command to manually transfer the zone file from the external DNS server (which is TCP traffic). However, I could not use 'rdnc reload' to transfer the zone file from the external server (which is UDP traffic). From the firewall log, I got the following information as attached.

However, I tested from a PIX with version 6.3. The 'rndc reload' command worked.

Does anybody have some idea? Thanks in advance.

Wang Jun

2 Replies 2

wjemail
Level 1
Level 1

up!

suschoud
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi,

the logs which you have attached suggest the connection is bilt up properly.as well as the teardown is normal,i.e,without any interruption at either ends.It's a normal tcp close down sequence with out any flags,but the data transferred in verl low ( 1 byte ).I would recommend you to upgrade to 6.3.5 gd release as that's far more caveat free then 6.1.as far as your question as to what might cause this,i m not sure as logs look fine. ( in fact in 6.1,logs did n't use to give much info )...hope this helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card