Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

doubt failover

hi sirs
I have a doubt. in my company there ASA5540 with SSM module is security, but can not do  failover because the other ASA does not have this module. the SSM module is not being used. I can disable the module with the command "HW-Module" shutdown. if I do, failover works?

I do not want to stop the main firewall, which contains the module SSM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: doubt failover

Hello,

Well no, If you take a look at the show version... you will be able to see the backplane  interface and the management interface of the module  as another interface... by that, even if the module is off, the interface will show in the show version... making them no different on hardware basis, hence, failover wont work.

Bottom line, even if you turn off the module... backplane and management interfaces are added, no matter if you are using it or not... that will make failover fail...

Cheers...

Mike.

Mike
6 REPLIES

Hi,

I would think that it should work because if the module is turned-off it's not part of the working hardware obviously.... but to be on the safe side via ASDM when you configure failover... it will check the status of the peer and should tell if you if all the ''failover checks'' work fine.

Federico.

Cisco Employee

Hello,

Well no, If you take a look at the show version... you will be able to see the backplane  interface and the management interface of the module  as another interface... by that, even if the module is off, the interface will show in the show version... making them no different on hardware basis, hence, failover wont work.

Bottom line, even if you turn off the module... backplane and management interfaces are added, no matter if you are using it or not... that will make failover fail...

Cheers...

Mike.

Mike

Thiago,

There you have your answer...

I would have thought it should work, but as Maykol said... it won't (even with the module off).

Federico.

Thank you for the explanation

I will then perform the removal of the module

thanks

Cisco Employee

Hello Thiago

Thanks, would you pleae check this problem as solved?

Cheers.

Mike

Mike

yes man

This resolved my problem , i've tried for evidence test , and shutdown module didn't work really.

only works when i removed it.

thanks a lot

best regards

Views
Helpful
Replies