Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP over site to site VPN with two remote ASA

John Peterson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have two ASA both are remote sites which currently has a leased line. Static router are placed on the ASA to route traffic via the leased line. I want to be able to introduce a VPN failover connection between the sites and run EIGRP over the VPN tunnel.

I know its possible to run EIGRP using a GRE tunnel on a router, but I can't seem to find any information in terms of running EIGRP (GRE tunnel) with only ASA as the only Cisco device on each remote site.

Has this been done before?

3 Replies 3

On the ASA you can't set up a GRE tunnel and as far as I remember EIGRP can't pass over an IPSEC tunnel.

Thank you, therefore could I use OSPF over the VPN tunnel and the leased line, then if the leased goes down OSPF will route traffic via the VPN tunnel?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

you can use OSPF over VPN using unicast instead of multicast. If OSPF is running you can have multiple paths to a destination and the traffic will use both paths when active or you can tell which path is the desired. If one goes down it will use the one active.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: