Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Email delay on ASA 5500

Hi guys,

I have an issue with a Cisco ASA 5520. It seems to block some emails incoming from some recipients. The sender's mail server clearly reports my ASA as cause of the problem (see attached image).

Unfortunately I have not the logs about that event and the time frame to close this issue is very narrow.

Do you know what could be the cause of the problem?

Thanks,

Dario

5 Replies 5

Tagir Temirgaliyev
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi

ASA can block some emails incoming from some recipients if they do use non standart dangerous smtp commands.

you can disable this

conf t

policy-map global_policy

class inspection_default

no inspect esmtp

exi

wr

and enable again

conf t

policy-map global_policy

class inspection_default

inspect esmtp

exi

wr

Hi ttemirgaliyev,

What should it change if I perform this operation? Does it clean a table of not trusted senders?

Thanks,

Dario

it disables and enables protocol smtp inspection.

protocol smtp inspection means that ASA  allows only six standard smtp commands,

protecting  from dangerous non-standard  smtp commands.

there is no  table of trusted/not trusted senders

He's just showing you how to disable the inspection globally to allow those email servers to deliver to your server. If indeed that is the cause of the delay then it will resolve your problem, if it's not the cause then you can re enable the global inspection.

If that has resolved the problem then what you should do is create a separate policy map against a group of trusted servers and disable the inspection on only those servers - then at least you are still protected

Thanks guys.

I've disabled and enabled again and the problem has not appeared again. I would so create a separate policy map for that particular server.

Do you know the IOS sintax to do it?

Thanks,

Dario

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: