cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%Error reading system (Configuration line too long)

oattoumani
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

have you any experience with this error message when I try to save the Pix Config:

PIX-CROUS-31#wr mem

Building configuration...

Cryptochecksum: xxx

%Error reading system:/running-config (Configuration line too long)

Error executing command

[FAILED]

I have not found an explanattion from the CCO; and there is no bug on Pix OS 7.2..2 nor ASDM 5.2.2.

I hesite between, too much lines on the configuration or one line config too long.

thanks for your helps.

regards

Omar

8 Replies 8

swharvey
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have not looked at your config file, but I suspect the problem may be related to the quantity of snmp server's you have defined. We had a similar problem where the total quantity of snmp-servers we defined in ver 6.35 was greater than what ver 7.22 could handle, even though it accepted the command entries.

If possible, try removing all but one of your snmp-server definitions from the config and see if you can write the configuration. I believe we settled on three snmp-servers max.

Hope this helps and if so please rate.

Thanks,

-Scott

Hello,

I too came across this problem once with PIX 7.2(2). It is a bug with 7.2(1)25 or greater in regards to the snmp config.

Check Cisco bug CSCsg87808.

When I encountered this issue, I downgraded to 7.2.1(24). You can either do the same, or remove the snmp config, or wait for 7.2(2.2).

Glen

the problem with version 7.2(2)-2 is that it will fix your the snmp-server problem;

however, if you try to do "show run + q" then

your firewall will reboot immediately.

Talking about a major bug. cisco code is really

buggy.

Thanks for your helps

Omar

Thanks Glen for your helps.

Omar

thanks Scott for your helps

Omar

daviddtran
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, I have run into this problem before.

What happened is that you have too many

"snmp-server" commands in the configuration.

The solution is to remove "snmp-server" commands

from the configuration and keep only 2 "snmp-sever" commands in the configurations.

The other solution is to downgrade to version

7.1(2) and it will fix your problem.

There is actually a cisco bug ID on this.

Search the bug toolkit and you will find it.

David

thanks David for your helps

Omar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card