cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

failover via management port

mjsully
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASA that, due to lack of interfaces, need to use the management ports as failover. I have a direct straight through cable between the interfaces, and this is how I am going to use in in production as well. I've got the failover working in a lab, but I had a question about the "stateful" failover. The only documentation I can find says you need a "crossover" for the stateful traffic to replicate. However, my failover only works with a straight through cable. I am unable to test the stateful traffic in my lab, but I don't see why it wouldn't work over my straight through. Any gotchas I need to be worried about with this setup?

1 Reply 1

CSCO10905906
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Please find the below points

1)Which is ASA Model which u are using, (becoz the ASA-5510 with out VPN Plus will not allow you to use the management interface for non management.)

2)If The interface on the firewall are set to auto (speed and duplex)it can pass the traffic as the interface are media independent.

or

3) Please create a separate vlan in switch for(failover) and connect the both primary and secondary units.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card