Views
Helpful
Replies

Firepower ICMP Application Odd Behaviour

de1denta
Level 3
Level 3

Hi All,

I was testing a new access control policy with a single rule that permits ICMP application traffic from my inside network to the outside (see attached screenshot).

As expected, ICMP traffic such as ping, traceroute etc works without any issues and all other traffic is blocked (default action is to block). However, I tested a telnet to an external Web server that I manage on port 80 from an internal host and the connection opened which was unexpected. I checked the FTD and I could see the corresponding connection (using show conn detail) and the destination server also shows the established connection.

Has anyone experienced odd behaviours with the ICMP application detector before?

I also checked the behaviour using packet-tracer as follows and the result is a match of  access rule Permit ICMP 

> packet-tracer input inside tcp 10.1.31.101 1000 172.16.100.1 80

Phase: 1
Type: ROUTE-LOOKUP
Subtype: Resolve Egress Interface
Result: ALLOW
Config:
Additional Information:
found next-hop x.x.x.x using egress ifc outside

Phase: 2
Type: ACCESS-LIST
Subtype: log
Result: ALLOW
Config:
access-group CSM_FW_ACL_ global
access-list CSM_FW_ACL_ advanced permit ip ifc inside any ifc outside any rule-id 268440576
access-list CSM_FW_ACL_ remark rule-id 268440576: ACCESS POLICY: Corporate_Policy - Mandatory
access-list CSM_FW_ACL_ remark rule-id 268440576: L7 RULE: Permit ICMP
Additional Information:
This packet will be sent to snort for additional processing where a verdict will be reached

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

you have a deny any any at the end of your ACL coming into your inside interface.?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Dennis,

Sorry this is for a FTD 2100 appliance so the only ACLs I have are within the Access Control Policy. The ACP has a default action of block.

Thanks

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6
This sounds close to a bug:
- I would check ICMP app definition in the firewall; I met once a bad definition of ICMP: IP/0 instead of IP/1
- did you previously ping same destination as the one you went for telnet? I would just telnet a "first time destination IP"
- I would make sure the implicit deny entry really works by reading the config or testing with any other app but telnet.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card