cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Flash upgrade ASA5520

jkuehl
Level 1
Level 1

I am needing to upgrade the Flash card on our current ASA from 64mb to a 1GB card to make way from upgrading from 8.0 to 8.4.  When i copy all the contents from the 64MB card through a card reader i am not getting the startup-config file copied over.  I checked to make sure that all hidden files are shown, but i am not seeing it.  I backed up the startup-config from the old 64mb card to a tftp server before switching the cards out.    Is their something that i am missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The memory upgrade required for post-8.2 upgrades is generally the RAM (DRAM DIMM), not the internal Compact Flash card (where disk0: lives).

That aside, if you are using a card reader under Windows, you should be able to see the .private directory where startup-config is stored on the CF card by "unhiding" protected operating system files. Please see this blog post for details.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

currently i am planning upgrading from 7.2.2 to 8.3 and going to run AnyConnect. I only have 64mb and I have plenty of space....I think you need to go thru your flash and remove unwanted files.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

i have a few more packages to load on the flash and it pushed me well over the 64mb size.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The memory upgrade required for post-8.2 upgrades is generally the RAM (DRAM DIMM), not the internal Compact Flash card (where disk0: lives).

That aside, if you are using a card reader under Windows, you should be able to see the .private directory where startup-config is stored on the CF card by "unhiding" protected operating system files. Please see this blog post for details.

that is what i was missing with the windows protected files.  I have a demo asa from cisco to help with the conversion process and i was having trouble with getting the config loaded between the two asa devices and this seemed like a faster solution to work with.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: