Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

FTP access via PIX 501

I am attempting to provide my FTP connection with a friendly name. Currently, user type FTP://the domain name.com in order to access FTP services. My question is how do I simplify it by making it FTP://ftp.friendly.com.

Do I simply add the domain name to my PIX by using the domain-name command?

3 REPLIES

Re: FTP access via PIX 501

You need to clarify your question a bit. You say that the user is typing ftp://domain.com, so I don't understand the "how do I simplify it" question.

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I apologize…

Let me attempt to better clarify - I have configured my PIX 501 to allow FTP traffic to my FTP Server inside my network.

In order for a user to access FTP resources from outside the network…he would need to type: FTP:// (IP Address). What I would like to accomplish is allowing the user to type: FTP://the domain name.com (using a name rather than the IP Address).

Please Advise,

Leo

You'll need to register a domain name such as myftpserver.com. Then you'll need to create a host record for ftp in your DNS server or providers server.

ftp A 5.5.5.5

This would append "ftp" to myftpserver.com. It's done the same way a webserver is for "www."

www a 5.5.5.6

ping http://www.myftpserver.com

reply from 5.5.5.6

The above of course is just me typing it out, and not a real server or ping response. ;-)

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies