Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM 2.3.x in 6500 running SXI4

dynamicv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

We have to perform an update on a pair of 6500s w/Sup 720 to 12.2(33)SXI4.  The 6500s are both installed with FWSMs which are still running the 2.3(3) code, arranged in a failover pair.   We're planning to update the FWSMs to v4.0(12) soon but we'd rather not do the two upgrades together during the same change window.

Can anyone confirm whether the pairing of 12.2(33)SXI4 and FWSM 2.3(3) will actually work as an interim step?  I know it's not a supported configuration, but we will hopefully only have to live with it for a couple of weeks so we're willing to take that risk providing the FWSM will still pass traffic.

The FWSMs are using static routing only.

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I do not see any problem with it.

So long as it satisfies the 2.3.x release note for the sup 720 code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm23/release/notes/fwsmrns.html#wp73044

-KS

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I do not see any problem with it.

So long as it satisfies the 2.3.x release note for the sup 720 code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm23/release/notes/fwsmrns.html#wp73044

-KS

Also keep in mind that if the FWSMs are in failover and one is in 4.0 and the other is in 2.3 then you can have all kinds of issues due to failover..

I hope it helps.

PK

Thanks very much for the quick responses.  It looks from the link that the FWSM code itself doesn't matter, as long as the IOS is of a version that recognises the module itself.  2.3(3) is not something we want to stick with, but as long as it works in the short term we've got time to negotiate another outage in January for that piece of work.

On the failover front, I'll be upgrading the two FWSMs from 2.3 to 4.0 at the same time so no worries there. 

Thanks very much again.

If this is answered please mark it so others can benefit in the future.

Rgs,

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card