cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM and vlans

Colin Higgins
Level 2
Level 2

It is my understanding that the FWSM for the 6500 series switches uses a 6 port Etherchannel on the backplane to communicate with the 6500 series switch.

Can you shutdown vlan1 on the switch and still communicate with the FWSM? I was under the impression that you could not (although I am looking at a config with it shutdown)

1 Reply 1

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It is my understanding that the FWSM for the 6500 series switches uses a 6 port Etherchannel on the backplane to communicate with the 6500 series switch.

- This is correct.

Can you shutdown vlan1 on the switch and still communicate with the FWSM? I was under the impression that you could not (although I am looking at a config with it shutdown)

- shut down the vlan on the switch? If you shut the vlan down on the switch, even if you pushed the vlan down to the FWSM the vlan will not show up on the FWSM.  You can still session into the FWSM from the switch.  It does a telnet to 127.0.0.11 if the module is in slot 1 and 127.0.0.22 if the module is on slot 2 etc.

SWITCH#who

Line       User       Host(s)              Idle       Location

1 vty 0                idle                 00:03:57 14.36.109.35

*  2 vty 1                127.0.0.11                               00:00:02 10.36.109.35

Interface      User        Mode                     Idle     Peer Address

-Kureli

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card