Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM - bad compact flash

Hi,

I have an FWSM in a 6500, in wich the compact flash it's dead. How can I create a new compact flash to use in the FWSM?

THank you.

Best regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What you are trying to do is not supported. The module needs to be RMA-ed.

-KS

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Kureli Sankar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

FWSM - flash is bad?

You can try fsck check and try to format it.

fsck disk:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm31/command/reference/ef.html#wp1587264

format flash:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm40/command/reference/ef.html#wp1669824

If these do not work, pls. open a case and request an RMA for the FWSM as we do not ship just the flash.

Hi Kusankar,

thank you for your reply.

I can't load the FWSM software, so unfortunately I can't execute those commands.

I tryed to format the compact flash in a flash reader, but without sucess. I think it's hardware problem.

I have another compact flash, but the installation of the FWSM software it's a tricky process?

Thank you.

Best regards.

This seems to be a hardware issue. Pls. open a case for an RMA.

copying and image onto the FWSM flash is a piece of cake. You just need IP connectivity with basic configuration.

copy tftp flash:image

is the only command that you  need to copy the code onto the FWSM.

Pls. refer this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm40/configuration/guide/swcnfg_f.html

-KS

Hi Kusankar,

thank you again.

I know how to copy an image to flash:... and I have already done that, the new compact flash it's with an 3.2(12) version. But the FWSM it's still unable to get running. When I do a show module, I see the FWSM in the mode "Other" for about 5 to 10minutes and then the power of the module where is the FWSM it's set down. I only need the software image in the compact flash:? What about the partitions cf:1, cf:4,etc?

Thank you.

Best regards,

It is very hard to guage how technical our NetPro users are based on a few questions that they ask in this forum.

Now, you are giving us proper symptoms.  When the switch automatically shuts the module down it logs certain message. What are those?

Show logs from the switch. May be switch is not receiving any heart beat from the FWSM and so it shuts it down. In which case you need to request an RMA.

Also, cf:1 - is the MP (maintenance partititon)

cf:4 and cf:5 are called application partitions that store the image and configuration

In order to run 3.x code you need to run a certain code in the MP (2.1(2) or above).  You can read all of this in the below link.

You can reset the FWSM to boot into a certain partition or MP by issuing this command "hw module 3 reset cf:1" where 3 is the slot where the FWSM is in.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm32/configuration/guide/swcnfg_f.html#wp1048928

-KS

Hi,

the message that I get after about 10minutes it's:

15:49:36: %C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 2 set off (Reset)
15:49:36: SP: oir_disable_notice: slot2: lcp failed to go online

Because the compact flash it's new, I don't have any partitions on it, so I can't enter in the cf:1 partition. That's why I was saying that to create a new compact flash suitable for the FWSM it should be a tricky process.

I tryed to put a version 2.3.5 in the FWSM compact flash:, but without success either.

I sent in attach a log with the symptoms of the procedure.

What you are trying to do is not supported. The module needs to be RMA-ed.

-KS

Thank you for your help. I was curious if it was possible to do

I will ask RMA of it.

Best regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card