Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

FWSM Failover with OSPF router-is

Hello.

I have two FWSMs, running in Failover Active/Standby mode. I would like to run OSPF on one of the FWSM's interface (int vlan2). I have two questions regarding that:

1) Will both FWSMs participate in the OSPF, even when the Primary is working ? I mean, will both FWSM's will be seen as ospf neighbors, and will receive/send LSAs as long as both up, or the primary FWSM will be the only one to participate in the OSPF process?

2) I have configured Failover as follows:

!

nameif vlan2 outside security0

!

ip address outside 10.235.2.1 255.255.255.240 standby 10.235.2.2

!

If both FWSMs participate in the OSPF, and I would like to configure the "router-id" for each. Which address should I take for that, assuming that I would like to use the ip address of vlan2 on both ? Should I take 10.235.2.1 as the router-id for the primary FWSM, and 10.235.2.2 for the secondary FWSM ?

Please advise,

Boaz.

2 REPLIES

Re: FWSM Failover with OSPF router-is

hi,

i have two sets of 6513's (4) with fwsm (4) in active/standby mode and as far i can see the standby fwsm aren't doing anything but idle (and looking in the mirrow how beautiful they are)... so i think the standby unit will not participate. but since i don't have the same setup as yours i can't be sure.

bt

Re: FWSM Failover with OSPF router-is

Hi,

Since you configure once and configuration is replicated to the standby unit, you cannot configure different ospf router-id - this is the answer for our second question. And, of course the standb unit does not participate in OSPF. That's why if you are using some kind of TACACS+ or other auth to log-in to the device and the route to it is learned over OSPF keep in mind to put one static route to the tacacs or you won't be able to log-in into the standby device:)

And one more advice - tune your OSPF timers - when switching from primary to standby this is critical, believ me:)

Views
Helpful
Replies