Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM OS Upgrade

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All

I have an FWSM pair (stateful failover configured as active/standby) running 3.1(4) and need to upgrade to 3.2(13).  As always, the powers that be want no down time if possible but I am not sure that the modules can continue to talk failover if the major.minor numbers are different.

Is it possible to upgrade the standby side to 3.2(13), then failover to this module then do the other side or will the code level differences break the failover comms and cause an active/active situation?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The FWSM does not support upgrading from between major or minor releases, for example, from 2.3 to 3.1 or 3.1 to 3.2, without downtime.

I would suggest to copy the image on both units and reload them with 30 seconds time difference. That should not need much downtime.

The units must not be in different minor version because your could see issues due to failover.

I hope it helps.

PK

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The FWSM does not support upgrading from between major or minor releases, for example, from 2.3 to 3.1 or 3.1 to 3.2, without downtime.

I would suggest to copy the image on both units and reload them with 30 seconds time difference. That should not need much downtime.

The units must not be in different minor version because your could see issues due to failover.

I hope it helps.

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card