cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

General question: Can I have a sub-interface on eth0/0 for two Public IP blocks?

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

Hey guys,

I just had this request from my IT department. They are running out of public IPs and the ISP just gave them a new range (they will keep using the old range). They are using ASA 5510 as their gateway device. I am wondering if I can create a sub-interface on the ASA eth0 (however doesn't belong to any VLAN, just untagged as the main interface) and assign it another public IP (as well as another default gateway). Will this setup work? Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Difan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It will not work.

Have the ISP send traffic destined to the new range towards you currant ASA ip address and NAT that range on the ASA's outside for inside hosts.

I hope it helps.

PK

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The best solution in your case is to route the new public range towards the current ASA outside ip address.

Panos Kampanakis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It will not work.

Have the ISP send traffic destined to the new range towards you currant ASA ip address and NAT that range on the ASA's outside for inside hosts.

I hope it helps.

PK

That's really a smart and tricky solution... I will give it a try. Thanks guys!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: