Helpful
Replies

gigabit interfaces on 5510

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

According to the following documentation

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/prod_models_comparison.html

I'm reading that my 5510, which has the Security Plus License, should have 2 interfaces capable of gigabit speed, but when I look at my ASA's interface's hardware properties in the gui, they are only capable of 100mb. When I look at them from the cli, they indicate a BW of 1000MB, but the speed auto negotiated with a 3820's gigabit interface, which is also set to auto, is only 100mb. However, I do notice the BW is set to 100000 on the 3820. Could that be what's preventing the gig interfaces from negotiating gig speed?

Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 1000 Mbps, DLY 10 usec

Auto-Duplex(Full-duplex), Auto-Speed(100 Mbps)

I'm looking to give a customer, who is currently terminated in a DMZ interface gigabit speed and was wondering if I could just rename either the inside or outside interface so it could swap with the current DMZ interface. Is it possible to just rename eth 0/0, or is there a hard rule that 0/0 must be the outside and e 0/1 must be the inside? And can anyone verify that the 5510 is in fact capable of having gig interfaces? I'm running 8.0(3)

thank you,

Bill

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Bill,

The model should support it. What do you see if you do a "sh ver"? Also, there's not set rule that a certain interface be the outside, but I need to warn you. If you have any static nat, routes, anything that references the inside or outside interface and you swap them, the configs will change. Make a good backup of your config before changing the names with the nameif command.

You may want to try to hard set the interface on the switch and the ASA to see if it will connect correctly.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I couldn't see anything in sh ver that might have helped. I'll try hardcoding the speed and change the bw on my router to 1 gb and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback on the renaming of the interfaces.

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(3)

Device Manager Version 6.1(5)51

Compiled on Tue 06-Nov-07 22:59 by builders

System image file is "disk0:/asa803-k8.bin"

Config file at boot was "startup-config"

HBG-ASA up 33 days 12 hours

Hardware: ASA5510, 256 MB RAM, CPU Pentium 4 Celeron 1600 MHz

Internal ATA Compact Flash, 256MB

BIOS Flash M50FW080 @ 0xffe00000, 1024KB

Encryption hardware device : Cisco ASA-55x0 on-board accelerator (revision 0x0)

Boot microcode : CN1000-MC-BOOT-2.00

SSL/IKE microcode: CNLite-MC-SSLm-PLUS-2.01

IPSec microcode : CNlite-MC-IPSECm-MAIN-2.04

0: Ext: Ethernet0/0 : address is 001f.6c3d.f3a8, irq 9

1: Ext: Ethernet0/1 : address is 001f.6c3d.f3a9, irq 9

2: Ext: Ethernet0/2 : address is 001f.6c3d.f3aa, irq 9

3: Ext: Ethernet0/3 : address is 001f.6c3d.f3ab, irq 9

4: Ext: Management0/0 : address is 001f.6c3d.f3a7, irq 11

5: Int: Not used : irq 11

6: Int: Not used : irq 5

Licensed features for this platform:

Maximum Physical Interfaces : Unlimited

Maximum VLANs : 100

Inside Hosts : Unlimited

Failover : Active/Active

VPN-DES : Enabled

VPN-3DES-AES : Enabled

Security Contexts : 2

GTP/GPRS : Disabled

VPN Peers : 250

WebVPN Peers : 10

AnyConnect for Mobile : Disabled

AnyConnect for Linksys phone : Disabled

Advanced Endpoint Assessment : Disabled

This platform has an ASA 5510 Security Plus license.

Hi,

Instead of setting interface to auto mode, try setting speed to 1000 both in router and ASA.

Normally, if auto-negotiation fails the device will set to its default, that might be a issue.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: