cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Graceful shutdown in 515E

ece344609_2
Level 1
Level 1

I am kind of embarassed even asking this but here goes. I recently started managing a PIX 515E and want to swtich it over to a UPS. I was wondering whats the best way to do a graceful shutdown. Would it be simply hitting the switch or is it something done via the PDM?

Thanks all.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Not need to feel embarassed, worse is not to ask and something would go wrong.

Just as precausion :

Since you recently started managing the PIX most likely you do not know how long has it been since the PIX has realoded, you can know this by doing " show version ",

What I would do for any network device that I have to cold boot and that does not have redundant power is as follow:

For PIX

1- Backup configuration by both clear text or by via tftp server.. here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml

2- Save the outbut of " show version " which will include record of activation keys

3- Have handy the PIX current version code as well as PDM version .

This is not to scare you, as it is only for precausion to be prepare for anything .

All these above is needed in case the PIX does not come up .

An yes you can just use the power switch Off and the On.

Rgds

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

Not need to feel embarassed, worse is not to ask and something would go wrong.

Just as precausion :

Since you recently started managing the PIX most likely you do not know how long has it been since the PIX has realoded, you can know this by doing " show version ",

What I would do for any network device that I have to cold boot and that does not have redundant power is as follow:

For PIX

1- Backup configuration by both clear text or by via tftp server.. here is a link on how to do it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_tech_note09186a008072142a.shtml

2- Save the outbut of " show version " which will include record of activation keys

3- Have handy the PIX current version code as well as PDM version .

This is not to scare you, as it is only for precausion to be prepare for anything .

All these above is needed in case the PIX does not come up .

An yes you can just use the power switch Off and the On.

Rgds

-Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Thanks for taking the time Jorge.

But I wasnt really looking for saving the config just wondering if there was another way to gracefully shutdown other than hitting the power switch and you guys answered it.

Great!!

a.alekseev
Level 7
Level 7

just save the configuration and simply hit the switch...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card